FSSAI Food License
Get Food License by filling up the Food License Registration Form Below
Food License Registration Form
Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), is an autonomous body to regulate food-related issues, in India. FSSAI was established, in August 2011, to ensure the safety and wholesomeness of articles of food. FSSAI was created under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, with guidelines from the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, and the Central government. The purpose is to lay down standards that are backed by science. To regulate the manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import. The aim is to protect and promote Public health through various regulations and supervision of food processes.
FSSAI offices have been set up on a Pan India Level to ensure better compliance by the Food Business Operators (FBO). Food license is issued to only those FBO’s that are found compliant with the food safety procedures. These procedures have been laid down to curtail adulteration or sale of sub-standard products. By maintaining quality checks and safe handling of food products, and acquiring FSSAI license, the FBO assures its consumers that the food products sold to them are of good quality.
Meaning of Food License
An FBO gets an FSSAI License or Registration, after it is found compliant with the various regulations and standards. For this purpose and inspection of the premises and the systems is conducted. This FSSAI Certificate has a 14-digit registration number. This number is to be printed on the packaging or to be displayed in the shop/store of the FBO, at a prominent place.
Getting an FSSAI Food License is compulsory for all the entities that are involved in the business of food. Following the last update in the rules, even the online distributor apps such as Zomato, Swiggy, etc are to display the registration number of the restaurant they are delivering for. They, now, also provide these restaurants with a hygiene rating. A significant way to promote your business. So getting a Food License for your business must be the top priority.
Eligibility Rules for Food License & Registration
The FBO needs to apply for FSSAI License or FSSAI Registration based on its annual turnover. The types applicable are:
- Basic FSSAI Registration
- State FSSAI License
- Central FSSAI License
It can get confusing for the FBO for which type of registration is to be applied? Hence, we are giving below an explanation of the conditions laid down.
FSSAI Basic Registration
All those FBOs that are involved in Manufacturing, Storage, Distribution, Labelling and Repacking and have an annual turnover of not more than Rs 12 lakh. These businesses need to apply for a Basic FSSAI Registration. Use Food License Application Form #A, for this.
FSSAI State Licence
Utilize Food License Application Form #B. All those businesses involved in the below-mentioned services must get State FSSAI certificate:
- FBOs with their annual turnover being between Rs. 12 lakh up to Rs. 20 crores,
- Proprietary Foods,
- Restaurants and Hotels,
- Meat Slaughtering and Processing Units,
- Food Processing Units including their Retailers and Re-packers,
- Vegetable Oil Production and Processing Units,
- Dairy Units including Cold Storage Units.
FSSAI Central License
All those FBOs who must get this Food Safety Certificate are:
- All FBOs with an annual turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crore,
- Restaurants/Food Processors having various branches in multiple states must apply for Central FSSAI license from their Registered Head Office. Further, the branches may need to get Basic, State or Central FSSAI Registration. Depending on the turnover of each outlet.
- 100 % export-oriented FBOs,
- Food Processors, Re-labellers, and Re-packers, with a capacity of processing over 2 Metric Tonnes per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units,
- Cold Storages with a capacity of over 10,000 Metric Tonnes,
- Wholesalers with an annual turnover of over Rs. 30 Crores,
- Food Caterers located at airports as well as seaports,
- All 5-Star Hotels.
|Upto ₹12 Lakhs||Registration FORM A|
|₹12 lakhs– ₹20 Crores||State License FORM B|
|Exceeding ₹20 Crores||Central License FORM B|
Benefits of Food License Registration
- For your alert and active customers, it is a way of assuring them that they are getting a good quality product.
- Establishes your business as caring and well-meaning, thereby improving the brand image.
- You need to get only a single FSSAI license instead of getting different approvals from various authorities, local, state or central.
- Bank Loan terms and conditions are eased. You may require the funding for business operations and expansion.
Documents required for Food License registration
- Photo Identity of Promoters of the Food Business
- Evidence of possession of premises (Rental Agreement / Utility Bill)
- Partnership Deed /Memorandum of Association/ Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association
- A list of Manufacture food products or processed or stored
- Food safety management system plan
- Signed and Completed Form-B
Procedure for Food License Registration
- File your application with the local FSSAI office.
- You will get intimated whether your FSSAI application has been approved or rejected within 7 days. Or it may need to be edited. In that case, it would be sent back to you. If you fail to take corrective steps, as may be indicated. As well as respond within 15 days of the application, it would get rejected.
- On approval, you will get a Food Registration certificate and a Registration Number.
- You must display the Certificate, visible at a prominent place, in the business premises, during all working hours.
Food License Renewal
The validity of all Food Licence or Registration is 1 year, extendable to a maximum of 5 years. You are free to choose the term. On the expiry of the term, the FBO has to get a food license renewal. Application for FSSAI renewal has to be filed 30 days before the expiry of the current FSSAI License. The procedure is quite simple. Therefore, it should be done as early as possible. And avoid penalties. If you have missed the due date or didn’t apply, your license will get expired. Thereafter, you won’t be allowed to continue the business. Hence, it is advisable to apply for the renewal of the Food License Process, well in time.
Consequences of Non-renewal of Food License
You must get your FSSAI registration renewed 30 days before its expiry. You will also be notified prior to its expiry, by the FSSAI. And it is advisable to take immediate action to evade the charges of late renewal. The penalty is Rs. 100 per day, for now. That is not the only consequence. FSSAI may decide to suspend the renewal. And, thereafter, you would have to apply for a fresh license. Filing a fresh Food license application form would prove to be far more challenging and costly than getting it renewed.
Frequently Asked Questions
(c) Partial Compliance
(d) Not Applicable/Not Observed (NA)
If the directions are still not followed, and the areas not rectified, within the given timeline, the Official may suspend the Food License.
There is a time frame involved in filing these appeals. The Notices have to be challenged within 15 days of the issue of the Notice.
To provide assurance of food safety, food business operators must apply an effective Food Safety Management System (FSMS) based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) and suitable prerequisite programs. And actively control hazards throughout the food chain starting from the production stage till final consumption.
(a) Fruits & Vegetables,
(b) Meat & Meat Products,
(c) Dairy Products,
(d) Spices & Condiments,
(e) Fish & Fishery Products,
(g) Nuts & Nut Products,
(h) Bakery & Confectionary,
(i) Fast Food Operations etc.,
(j) Hotels & Restaurants.
Your organization should have clarity of the objectives and what benefits it will gain by implementing the HACCP system. You should be prepared to incorporate the Quality & Environment Management Systems into every step of the business operations.
All staff must be aware of what is expected of them, in order to achieve HACCP Certification.